Monday 26 September 2011

Out with the old..in with some different old

I had such a good weekend and many thanks to those of you who came along and made my open house so successful and so enjoyable. Sometimes people tell me they could not imagine turning their home into a shop but I love it. Its so much better to display my finds and designs in surroundings that suit them rather than trying to cram far too much onto a stall. Often when the sale is over and an item remains unsold I find it staying and changing an arrangement that was getting stale; alternatively something will be sold and in comes a replacement from another room or a cupboard. So this weekend I bid farewell to the old man painting I had grown to love but rediscovered the lovely charcoal portrait executed by my son some years ago.

Yesterday I was off to Manchester to the textile fair which was thoroughly enjoyable and very well attended.
Although on my own I managed to dash round buying before the fair got busy and am very pleased with the goodies I will add to the pile for this weekend's sales in Chipping Sodbury and London.

Love this somewhat faded straw hat which would sit happily on a hook when not on a head.

And these very typical French child's boots, in remarkably good condition..can just imagine them teamed with woollen socks and a cotton overall.

The clogs are even smaller..toddler size..compare them with the boots... and so beautifully made although not necessarily very comfortable


I also picked up a couple of fabric covered boxes in reasonable condition; both are glove boxes so I've photographed with a pair of my vintage gloves.


I love this classic Provencal check fabric most often found in red or blue. It is often made into kitchen textiles as in this shelf edge. Its great for shelves or mantels but I think these pieces would be lovely at a window

 This is a real fresh apple green so I used it as a table runner with this bowl of cooking apples from our tree.

Neither Ken nor I can claim to be gardeners but we are feeling very pleased to have fabulous harvests of apples and pears despite our lack of work.
Finally this lovely display box for embroidery threads in great condition. I love these boxes and can even use them for threads, buttons etc but equally they are great for jewellery or stationary.

They'll be in the car on Saturday but if you'd like to buy just email for prices. Come and say hello if you come to either the Vintage & Handmade Textile Fair in Chipping Sodbury or the Textile Society's Fair in Chelsea..I'll be doing my best to display far too much in too little space.

No comments:

Post a Comment