Tuesday 3 April 2012

An early summer

I'll start by apologising for the time that has passed since my last post. As I write I feel the arrogance inherent in that sentence; it implies a horde of people waiting on my every musing so I will qualify by adding that this apology is to those faithful few who are kind enough to follow and hopefully enjoy my postings. But then probably all of you like me have been awol in a garden or on a beach during this last sunny week or two.
When I left a salaried position to be self employed I vowed that I would embrace the flexilbility that it brought but too often weekend fairs, stock to be made or other tasks prevent this and I find myself missing out on good weather, exhibitions etc. This early and unseasonable hot sunshine was just too good to waste and of course would be very short lived. I found myself musing on the term for an unexpectedly early summer..like an Indian summer but before not after the real thing. In fact of course this could be the real thing and as I write it rains outside so who knows when we shall next need our t shirts and shorts.


So most of last week was spent in the garden and some of it kneeling to weed not sitting to read but I was able to pass off one jaunt as work. On Friday I drove to  a small hamlet in Derbyshire to collect 2 chairs from the upholsterer who lives and works in a converted chapel not far from Chatsworth. He can look out onto fields filled with sheep and lambs and I did find myself envying him the country life. Must add here that later that day I was in a city centre cinema, 10 minutes from home, and I'm not sure I could do without that weekly fix.

I digress as ever; the chairs look great, both covered in vintage linens provided by me. It is a joy to have found someone who enjoys working with different fabrics and sees handwoven linens as a challenge not an annoyance.

Very pleased with this chair which was covered in an 1980s check and looks much happier in simpler mode.
I chose a heavy weight French linen sheet so that it could fit in in a living room or here in a bedroom; perfect spot to listen to our old LPs. Its a neat shape and will be a useful chair to add in to the living room when guests are round. I am however planning to sell this one so do ask for images/price if interested.

Chair number 2 was apparently more of a challenge requiring a seat rebuild as well as recovering. I bought it several years ago covered in a pretty blue stripe and had resisted changing this fabric but as a chair it was uncomfortable and precarious so when I acquired a Hungarian mattress cover it seemed its time had come.

I love the red on cream stripe and it matches the sack I use as a bathmat so it's currently residing in the bathroom. Perfect while waiting for the bath to fill or painted nails to dry.
This week and an Easter fair on the horizon I have had to get back to work. I bought a patchwork quilt for cutting last month and have been turning it into a variety of cushions and lavender bags.

I find the extra bulk of the quilting is great for comfy cushions and well stuffed lavender hearts. It is a mixture of mauves and pinks with a central section of red although as there is a sod's law to all things here it is that the most worn areas are in the most lovely prints.

I have made 4 large cushions suitable for a bed or large sofa and then a collection of smaller ones to show off the prettiest sections of the quilt

This tiny cushion uses all of one part of the design.

I think I have confessed a love of glass jars in these posts and have a new collection to sell.

I've filled these French parfait jars with seasonal painted eggs and hope they'll look good on my stall at the Homespun fair in Portscatho on Easter Monday.

I'm looking forward to this fair in one of my favourite holiday destinations; both to sell, meet up with friends and find out more about the vintage scene in Cornwall. We've been visiting the Roseland penisula for over 20 years now and cinema going apart could imagine living there so I shall be pretending for a brief few days that I am a local.

Hope you'll come along if you live or are visiting nearby.
Details on the left or http://www.homespunfair.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. The chairs look fabulous, as do the cushions. Good luck at the fair ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good wishes Jane. Hope you'll come and say hello if I do a fair in your area Heather x

      Delete
  2. The listening chair by the LPs looks excellent, can't wait to test it out. Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the man for that job loads love Mom x

      Delete