Monday 8 August 2011

faded glory..new life for an old quilt

A couple of years ago I bought a rather tatty cotton quilt
It combined a rose print cotton with lovely soft blue cotton and a pink which in the past had been a strong red but was now the perfect warm rose. Every cushion I made from this quilt sold immediately so I was very excited to find another almost identical at a fair last month.

Rest assured it was too shabby to use as a quilt, don't want to receive hate mail for crimes against fabric history! I started making cushions featuring the rose print and the blue cotton. I sold 2 of these to Avant Garde (see stockists) where Avril intended to sit them on a dresser along side some blue china; they complimented each other perfectly.

In addition to the pink and blue fabrics the quilt also featured a green and red floral. When separated from the blue this gave the cushions a very different identity..much warmer and cosier. I decided to combine these red prints with a mangle cloth with a red stripe. You can find some like this at The Place (see stockists) a lovely shop in Lichfield..Paula sells fabrics as well as other craft supplies and gifts.

I love the way these cushions look great against white bedlinen, adding just enough colour to a calm bedroom or piled on a sofa like my lovely old chaise longue. I'm nearly at the end of this quilt but I'll be taking the cushions along to the Cotswolds fair at the end of the month.


Whilst sorting through fabrics this morning I came across the very last strip of one of the most beautiful fabrics I've used; a grey and pink French floral quilted cotton backed with Vichy check.

 It had been part of a bed hanging but was already cut when I bought it so no guilt pangs needed. I made it into a small cushion and sewed the buttons on with a thread which picked up the pink of the flowers and birds..delicious. Looks perfect with the Vichy pink lampshade, how to part with them

No comments:

Post a Comment