Monday 15 August 2011

charming wooden toys

Maybe it was the birth of my grandson last year that suddenly sparked an interest in vintage toys.
Certainly it was not long afterwards that I bought a lovely red truck, unfortunately no photo exists, that become briefly the centrepiece of my Christmas display at a fair before being snapped up. After that it seemed I found lots of interesting examples of lovingly crafted wooden toys.

This wooden horse was bought at one of the Country Chic fairs I stand at and was given to Niall as one of his christening gifts.

Last week whilst staying in London to look after him I enjoyed watching him stride along behind his horse still as good as new despite quite rough treatment!

I also bought a lovely pull along horse which is more of an ornament and looks great on one of his nursery shelves. Hopefully its not indoctrination but it would be lovely if he developed a liking for vintage things.

This little French  truck was bought to sell but has been in residence in my living room for a while now. I love the strong blue combined with brown and it looks great against the acid yellow of the painting.

Similar colours in this little cart picked up yesterday, another french toy and this one I must sell! See shophellishdesigns for more.

My eye was drawn to a small grey animal at the V&H Textile fair in June, how had my Greyie been stolen from my bedside drawer. I went upstairs on my return to find her squashed under a pile of books as usual and realised that the little cat on the stall had had ears whereas those on greyie were pulled off years ago.
The tiny drawers were a Market Harborough purchase from Helen, I love the way their proportions echo those of my chest of drawers and the drawers are deep enough to fill with all manner of clutter.

Come and see the little cart at the Cotswolds fair

No comments:

Post a Comment